Auditioning for Closed/Invitational Programs —
The Placement Audition for 2018-2019 Closed/Invitational Programs is:
Age 6 to 12:
Tuesday, May 8, 6:30pm – 8pm
Ages 13 +:
Friday, May 11, 7:30pm – 9pm
All students must preregister including paying the $35.00 +GST fee (which is included in Performance Performance Training Company and Professional Training Division Courses program tuition for those who are at or above the special $7000 fee ceiling).
If you are already a Caulfield School of Dance family, you can preregister online through the Online Portal.
Closed/Invitational Programs include:
- Royal Academy of Dance Ballet examination preparation programs
- Closed Performing courses
- Closed Technique courses
- Performance Training Company programs
- Professional Training Division programs including the Half-Day Training options
For those pursuing Company/Division membership, missing the Placement Audition, any part of the 2 weeks of Summer Intensive Training and/or the September Workshop may require private assessment/instruction at the posted rates for private instruction.
Auditioning is an important part of performing arts training and even students not pursuing enrollment in Closed/Invitational Programs are welcome and encouraged to do the Placement Audition for the experience. We request though that those not pursuing enrollment in Closed/Invitational Programs for the immediately upcoming year, inform us prior to auditioning by so indicating on the Audition Form.
What to Expect at the Audition:
Basic dance skills are drilled and short dance combinations in various styles are taught.
Flexibility is assessed.
Candidates may also have a private voice assessment.
- be physically warm by the start of any audition = always come early and warm-up intelligently.
- dress in ballet or all black dance attire.
- have hair completely off of the face and neck – longer hair in a bun.
Candidates should bring:
- all the dance shoes that they own including a pair of clean, indoor use only runners (for Hip Hop)
- a pair of socks
- and ideally, knee pads.
It’s not what you already know how to do as much as how quickly and well you appear to learn new things that matters most. Those conducting the audition are well aware that many candidates will have little or no experience in one or more of the disciplines that could be assessed. It is always important to demonstrate a cheerful and determined attitude and “stage presence” in any audition.
* Families can make a minimum payment of $2000.00 per returning student by Monday, June 19, 2017 at 7:00pm from which Summer Intensive week fees and/or September to June tuition costs will be deducted, and the registration fee for that student will be waived. Any credit remaining will be applied to subsequent tuition payments.