2019 – 2020 Fall Newsletter
Welcome to the 2019/2020 year at Caulfield School of Dance. We are so happy to have you here and look forward to a wonderful year. This Newsletter has information for you about:
- Your Important Dates Sheet.
- Christmas Party and Fund Raiser, Saturday, December 7, 2019.
- The CSD Website – you can find everything there!
- Class Wear and Supplies, and Costumes – what we need from you…
- Requests and Reminders – Practice, Competition, Attendance Alerts, Health & Safety.
This Newsletter takes 9 MINUTES to read!
- Important Dates Sheet:
All the School’s Important Dates are posted on the CSD website at Important Dates. You can find it by going to the “News” tab and clicking Important Dates. As specific details become available, the post is updated.
You can also download and/or print a 1-page pdf list of the Important Dates for easy reference from:
- near the top of the Important Dates page OR
- the parent portal (click the login button on the CSD website to find the Dropbox link in the Announcements section).
Please transfer all Important Dates to your personal calendar(s) to avoid conflicts. Not participating in a class, rehearsal, or other event may result in EXCLUSION FROM PERFORMING.
Upcoming Important Dates include:
- Character Skirt Fitting: Friday, October 25, 4:00 – 5:00 pm
Every Female R.A.D. Student must attend with their skirt (if she has one)
- School closed for Halloween: Thursday, October 31.
- School closed for Remembrance Day: Monday, November 11*
- Stage Makeup and Hair Seminars:
All NEW performers MUST attend one seminar with the person preparing them for performing; all others are welcome.
- Tuesday, November 12, 2019 – 5:45 – 6:30 pm OR
- Thursday, November 14, 2019 – 4:00 – 4:45 pm OR
- Saturday, November 16, 2019 – 10:00 to 10:30 am
Bring all hair supplies and at least some makeup liner pencils. A complete list of supplies is in your Guidebook, but we recommend coming to a seminar before purchasing.
- Our annual Christmas Party and Fund Raiser:
Saturday, December 7, 2019 (please see information below)
- Parent Viewing: Family members are invited to watch the last portion of classes from:
Monday, December 9 to Sunday, December 15, 2019.
- School closed for Winter Break:
Sunday, December 22, 2019 to Saturday January 4, 2020
- The last day of classes/office hours before the break: Saturday, December 21, 2019.
- We are back to regular classes/office hours: Sunday, January 5, 2020.
* Note: While normally closed the Saturday and Sunday of all statutory long weekends, the school is OPEN: Saturday and Sunday, November 9 and 10, though closed November 11.
- Christmas Party and Fund Raiser:
date: Saturday, December 7, 2019.
time: 1 – 5 pm
NEW location: Kyle Center, 125 Kyle Street, Port Moody, BC, V3H 2J3
Please plan to attend our annual Christmas Party and Fund Raiser and bring your family and friends for a fun afternoon with our Raffle Draw, Silent Auction, Bake Sale, Concession for yummy food and drinks, and of course, wonderful entertainment*. Get a jump on your Christmas baking and shopping!
Admission is by donation. (We hope to pay for the facility rental so we can put 100% of revenues from the Raffle Tickets and the Silent Auction towards our Scholarship Fund.)
* Note re Performing and Classes on Saturday, December 7:
Many classes will perform selections at the event. If your child is performing December 7, you will receive a parental permission request soon. Orders of Showings and “call” times will be distributed shortly after, and posted at the Important Dates page on the website.
If your child is performing December 7, please ensure that s/he participates in any normally scheduled classes at the School AND is ready at the venue well prior to your “call” time, which will depend on which of the showings your child is programmed in.
ALL Saturday classes with start times up to 11:30 am (i.e. Preschool Ballet 11:30 am – 12:00 pm) will run as normally scheduled at the School. Except for Level B/C Ballet Technique, 11:30am – 12:30 pm.
Courses with start times after 11:30 am (i.e. Conditioning + Jazz Tech 2 12:00 – 1:15 pm, etc.) are not running. If you wish to have a makeup class for any course which does not run on any special event day, please ask us. Thank you.
NOTE: All students in ALL Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday, Musical Theatre/Vocal Tech courses will meet at Kyle Center at 11:30 am to have class/rehearsal there.
Bake Sale and Concession:
Thanks to all you bakers who made the Bake Sale and Concession at last year’s event such a success. Your efforts were thoroughly appreciated, especially by those who purchased Christmas baking, and the scholarship recipients.
There will be a sign-up sheet in the School lobby for baking items soon to let us know you will be donating some wonderful yummy baked goods to share! Thank you!!!!
Our scholarship fund is crucial. While our taxes support high level sports programs and facilities in our community, arts training is instead taxed!
Your Guidebook gives detailed criteria for scholarships which are for dedicated students of all disciplines aged seven and over.
If you or your company is able to donate to the Silent Action, please contact Alicia Jacobson at email@example.com describing the item and its approximate retail value.
ALL donations are greatly appreciated.
If you know of a company or individual you think may wish to donate, please ask at the office for a request letter. THANK YOU!
All donations are acknowledged at the auction and in the souvenir program for the yearend production. All our scholarship recipients write letters of thanks to donors for their donation. We also welcome website links on our site and display advertising for our printed yearend production program.
Huge thanks to the parent volunteers who have already been working hard to make the Christmas Party and Fund Raiser a success. If you are interested in contributing with your time and/or ideas to any fundraising efforts for the School, please let us know. All help is greatly appreciated!
We hope you enjoy the Christmas Party and Fund Raiser and thank you in advance for your support of our young performers!
- The CSD Website
This Newsletter, and pretty much any information you may need about the School, or what’s coming up, is at the CSD website: caulfield.bc.ca. On each page, there is a SEARCH THIS WEBSITE dialogue box. To find anything quickly, type in a key word. Be sure to check that you have the correct year for every post/document!
The OUR TEAM page has biographies of the faculty including our new instructors:
Ms. Dawn Braun Crawford R.A.D.R.T.S., B.Sc., Caitlin Griffin, Andrew Haydock, Vivian Liu R.A.D.R.T.S., Jaelan Mills, and Tiffany Levers.
Please see the COMMUNITY PERFORMANCES page of our website for information about upcoming performances featuring Caulfield School of Dance students including:
- Saturday, December 7:
The annual Christmas Party & Fund Raiser described in pages 2 & 3 above.
At the NEWS/ANNOUNCEMENTS page, we try to keep you informed about events such as auditions, professional shows, master classes, etc.) as they come up too.
Please email your brags (we LOVE these!) to the School firstname.lastname@example.org with at least one photo, etc. for posting to the site and social media too.Your photos and comments help to build upon the positive culture that we enjoy here at your performing arts School.
- Class Wear and Supplies, and Costumes:
Class Wear and Supplies:
Please see your Guidebook, for instructions on grooming (i.e. hair must be held back – and neatly) and class wear. Improper hair and/or attire may mean watching vs. participating in classes!
Note that ballet slippers must be leather vs. canvas, etc.
Ensure that your child always has hair clips on hand. It is a waste of the time you pay for if your child leaves the studio to:
- request a bandage from the office (which may not be open); if we are out of bandages (it is hard to keep up with the daily demand!), it may mean not participating in class
= always have a package of bandages/roll of adhesive skin tape.
- get toilet tissue from a bathroom (which may be in use!) to blow a runny nose = always have a handkerchief or package of facial tissue.
- use toweling in a bathroom for sweat; your child should be sweating in classes = always have a
The process of amassing the over one thousand costume pieces that our performers will wear this year is already under way. We try whenever possible to take measurements for costuming during class time – another reason that attendance at all classes is so important. If you miss being measured, you may be required to take your child to the home of the person making his/her costume.
Please help us in our efforts to reuse costumes: Always keep your costumes in excellent condition even after you think you no longer have use for them. If you wish to hang onto costumes that you no longer need, we may ask you in the future if you would be willing to donate, rent, or sell them. If you do not wish to keep costumes that you no longer need, please donate them to our Costume Bank*. Thank you.
* Sometimes we can use costumes from our Costume Bank to reduce costumes costs for families. Some costumes from the bank are previously used; if you receive a used costume for your child’s use this year, the cost is greatly reduced from the original price. Some are from previous year’s numbers but were never worn; you pay less than the original price for these unworn costumes too.
We also have a “Shoe Library” for gently used dance shoes that you can donate to or take from at any time.
- Final Requests and Reminders
Practice: Performing arts students must practice – even if for only 10 minutes – and stretch every day.
All students who can write need a notebook (3-hole page style) to write in immediately after each class.
If you have not already done so, ensure you download the music your child needs for practicing via Dropbox; this link can also be found through the Parent Portal in the Announcements Section.
Permission forms have been sent out and are due back Monday October 28. If you have questions please let us know!
If you (do you know about our Adult Courses?) or your child must be absent or late for a class, please get in touch with us every time and as much in advance as possible. Thank you.
Health and Safety:
Please see your Guidebook for more complete information about Health and Safety; here are some key points:
- Students in almost all dance classes must wear all hair back neatly off the face so it cannot hit anyone in the eyes/face! (Please see HAIR and ATTIRE for more details.)
- Note that students cannot learn to turn wearing glasses unless the glasses have a sports strap.
- Please(!) accompany small children to the toilet. Strange and unfortunate things happen (like mistaking the shower for a urinal or using extreme amounts of toilet paper) when they are alone.
- When entering the school, students should hang their coats in the kitchen, and put their outdoor footwear under one of the lobby benches or in a cubby.
- Please help our air quality by:
- not smoking or idling your vehicle near the school.
- not using artificial scents (i.e. cologne) or fuming products (liquid paper, nail polish, etc.).
- Food and liquids other than water (and only healthy food and drink in the School please!) should be in the lobby and kitchen areas only.
- A clean and tidy School is a healthy School:
- If you make a mess, please clean it up!
- Use the appropriate disposal containers for your recycling, food waste,
- If you move furniture (or see it out of place) please put it back!
- If you use a dish, please wash, dry, and put it away!
And please instruct your children to do the same. Thank you.
- Hand washing is the best way to prevent illness. Please remind your children.
- Our School is a sesame seed, nut, pet, and scent free zone. We have children with allergies.
Thank you for taking the time to read this Newsletter.
If you have any questions about anything, please refer to our website, or your Guidebook (or ask to see the office copy). If you cannot find an answer there, please see us at reception or give us a call. We are happy to help you.
With sincere thanks for being with us at Caulfield School of Dance this year,
Principal, Caulfield School of Dance